The Hotel: Winbi River Resort
Perched right on the banks of the Murray River, just a stone throw away from Moama and Echuca, Winbi River Resort is a perfect spot for a laid back family holiday away from the city buzz. Sprawling on 18 acres of leafy grounds, the resort has no shortage of recreation areas for both kids and adults, and also boasts a private stretch of riverbank beach.
Guests can spread out in neatly furnished self-contained, air-conditioned villas, featuring sitting areas with flat-screen TVs, kitchen, laundry facilities, bathrooms and verandas, perfect for a family dinner al fresco.
One-Bedroom Garden Unit
- Bed size/type: Queen bed
- Standard occupancy: 2 people
- Maximum occupancy: 2 people
- Air-conditioned, heating, lounge area, kitchenette, fridge – full size, dining setting, shower, Television, Foxtel
Two-Bedroom Garden Unit
- Bed size/type: Queen, 2 Singles or Queen, Triple bunk, trundle
- Standard occupancy: 4 people
- Maximum occupancy: 4 people (some units occupancy can be up to 6 or 7 – extra charges apply, payable directly to Winbi River Resort)
Air-conditioned, heating, lounge area, kitchen, fridge – full size, dining setting, shower, Television, Foxtel
Three-Bedroom Executive Spa Unit
- Bed size/type: 2 queen beds, 2 bunk beds
- Standard occupancy: 6 people
- Maximum occupancy: 8 people (extra charges apply payable directly to Winbi)
- Air-conditioned, heating, lounge area, kitchen, fridge – full size, dining setting, spa bath or a separate walk-in shower, Television, Foxtel
The Area: Echuca, VIC
Formerly Australia’s largest inland port, Echuca may no longer be the trade hub that it once was in the mid-1800s, but it presents an enchanting experience for tourists chasing rich colonial history or the gentle buzz of riverside life. Home to the world’s largest fleet of operating paddle steamers, Echuca welcomes visitors via a chug down the Murray River before revealing more wonders in the form of dense red gum forest, boutique wineries and galleries boasting eco-friendly handicrafts.
With Echuca resting on the banks of the Murray River, peeps simply could not visit the town without a trip down the waterway. Many choose to do this via one of the historic paddle steamers, which not only give travellers the chance to view the region by water but also educate eager minds on its colonial past. For those who prefer to do things their own way, house boats can be hired to see the river or thrill seekers can leap right into the water on a jet ski ride. Oodles of sites with deep historical significance are on offer nearby including the Red Gum Wharf and century-old buildings, providing a feast for old-world enthusiasts.
Gourmands enjoy a wine-tasting session at one of many vineyards, even stopping for a fine-dining experience while they are at it to sample local cuisine. Galleries, markets and quaint shops are also abundant, indulging retail junkies and art fiends alike. A simple stroll through the wide streets and red gums of Echuca is also one of the most romantic experiences to be found in the area.